Thursday, April 8, 2010

Modern Day Swashbuckling

(Adventures across the Big Blue Sea United States)

You see, it’s not that I want to be a pirate, exactly. I’m not big on mayhem or murder, and stealing things from people is just mean. But pirates knew how to have an adventure, you know?

Pirates didn’t care about job tracks with management possibilities.

They cared about sailing the seven seas (if they even knew there were actually seven of them at that point in history, which I’m not too sure about).

They cared about going YAR and, occasionally, ARGH.

So yes. Adventure. I would like to have adventures where I go YAR a lot, and maybe throw in the occasional ARGH. And that, my friends, is why I am attempting to walk across America.

I’ve gone on various other adventures, but they mostly ended with “…and then I ran away.” Which, admittedly, has a humorous ring to it, but overall not what I’m after. This is an adventure I’m sticking with.

I’ve been toying with this idea for a few years now, but the time has come for action. I’ll be 30 this year, and I don’t want to be 30 and say I’ve never done anything.

This can and should be a joint adventure, though. A parade of adventure, if you will. So if, like me, the words “office job” give you hives, you should come with me.

Because wouldn’t it be something quite awesome if, as I walk across this giant country, I slowly gather fellow adventurers with me? Just one or two along the way, until we reach California and there is a massive crowd of us. Think of the fun! Think of the impact that’d have! Think of the adventure!

I can promise that, at the very least, you will get to wear an eye-patch and say YAR.

No comments: